Hi Alan,

I made a mistake and incorrectly assumed that differences between 54 lines
of output and 27 lines of output is the result of removing duplicate email
addresses, i.e., gsil...@umich.edu
gsil...@umich.edu, c...@iupui.edu, c...@iupui.edu

Apparently, this is not the case and I was wrong :(
The solution to the problem is in the  desired line output:

stephen.marqu...@uct.ac.za
lo...@media.berkeley.edu
zq...@umich.edu
rjl...@iupui.edu
zq...@umich.edu
rjl...@iupui.edu
c...@iupui.edu
c...@iupui.edu
gsil...@umich.edu
gsil...@umich.edu
zq...@umich.edu
gsil...@umich.edu
wagne...@iupui.edu
zq...@umich.edu
antra...@caret.cam.ac.uk
gopal.ramasammyc...@gmail.com
david.horw...@uct.ac.za
david.horw...@uct.ac.za
david.horw...@uct.ac.za
david.horw...@uct.ac.za
stephen.marqu...@uct.ac.za
lo...@media.berkeley.edu
lo...@media.berkeley.edu
r...@media.berkeley.edu
c...@iupui.edu
c...@iupui.edu
c...@iupui.edu
There were 27 lines in the file with From as the first word
Not in the output of a subset.

Latest output:
set(['stephen.marqu...@uct.ac.za', 'lo...@media.berkeley.edu', '
zq...@umich.edu', 'rjl...@iupui.edu', 'c...@iupui.edu', 'gsil...@umich.edu',
'wagne...@iupui.edu', 'antra...@caret.cam.ac.uk', '
gopal.ramasammyc...@gmail.com', 'david.horw...@uct.ac.za', '
r...@media.berkeley.edu']) ← Mismatch
There were 54 lines in the file with From as the first word

Latest revised code:
fname = raw_input("Enter file name: ")
if len(fname) < 1 : fname = "mbox-short.txt"
fh = open(fname)
count = 0
addresses = set()
for line in fh:
    if line.startswith('From'):
        line2 = line.strip()
        line3 = line2.split()
        line4 = line3[1]
        addresses.add(line4)
        count = count + 1
print addresses
print "There were", count, "lines in the file with From as the first word"

Regards,
Hal