On 15/03/16 19:51, Albert-Jan Roskam wrote:

> So windows uses the following (Western locales):
> console: cp437 (OEM codepage)
> "bytes": cp1252 (ANSI codepage)
> unicode: utf-16-le (is 'mbcs' equivalent to utf-16-*?)
>

> Sheesh, so much room for errors. Why not everything utf-8, like in linux?
> Is cmd.exe that impopular that Microsoft does not replace it with something
> better?

It's replaced by Powershell.
It's just that not many people use Powershell.
Familiarity beats superiority.

Whether Powershell actually handles display of text any better is
another question. I don;t know the answer to that and am too lazy
to fire up my Windows box to find out! :-(

> in saying that the use of codepages (with stupid differences such as latin-1
> vs cp1252 as a bonus)
> are designed to hamper cross-platform compatibility (and force people to
> stick with windows)?

I think that's probably being unfair on Microsoft.
It is mainly just historical I think.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site