On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 4:40 PM, Alan Gauld <alan.ga...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 15/03/16 19:51, Albert-Jan Roskam wrote:
>
>> Sheesh, so much room for errors. Why not everything utf-8, like in linux?
>> Is cmd.exe that impopular that Microsoft does not replace it with something
>> better?
>
> It's replaced by Powershell.
> It's just that not many people use Powershell.
> Familiarity beats superiority.
>
> Whether Powershell actually handles display of text any better is
> another question. I don;t know the answer to that and am too lazy
> to fire up my Windows box to find out! :-(

powershell.exe is a standard console application. It works the same as
cmd.exe and python.exe.

OTOH, maybe you're referring to PowerShell Integrate Scripting
Environment (ISE), which is more like an IDE. It hides the console
window and sets stdout and stderr to pipes. Bizarrely, if you run
python.exe in this environment, stdin still uses the hidden console (I
made the console visible and could type into it and see the result in
ISE). It's pretty much useless for regular interactive console
applications. It's more focused on designing, testing and running
PowerShell scripts and cmdlets.