On 04/16/2017 02:18 PM, Mats Wichmann wrote:
On 04/16/2017 10:16 AM, Jim wrote:
On 04/16/2017 10:10 AM, Chris Warrick wrote:
On 16 April 2017 at 16:45, Jim <jf_byr...@comcast.net> wrote:
My system python is 2.7.12 so I created a virtual environment using
venu to
run 3.5.2. I put it in /home/jfb/EVs/env. Now I would like to try 3.6
and
put it in env36. Is it possible to change env to env35 for 3.5.2 without
breaking things?

No. You need to delete your existing virtualenv and create a new one.
You can just use `pip freeze > requirements.txt` in the old one and
run `pip install -r requirements.txt` in the new one to ”move” all the
packages you had.

Thanks Chris. I thought that would be the answer but wanted to check
before I spent a lot of time trying to do something that was not possible.

Virtual environments tend to confuse me. My system is Mint 18.1 with
2.7.12 & 3.5.2 installed. So I would have to download a tar file of 3.6,
then build it and then use it's version of venv to create a virtual
environment to try 3.6. Is that correct?

Thanks,  Jim

It doesn't need to be terribly complicated, something called pyenv can
manage the install for you (yes, it will build it if needed).

pyenv install --list

to show what's available to install

pyenv install 3.6.0

to install a copy

If you set up the shell helpers, pyenv will let you create the
virtualenv and launch it:

pyenv virtualenv 3.6.0 test-3.6.0
pyenv activate test-3.6.0

Thanks Mats,

When I get a chance to try 3.6 this looks like the best way for me to install it.

Regards, Jim