On 04/16/2017 11:24 AM, Chris Warrick wrote:
On 16 April 2017 at 18:16, Jim <jf_byr...@comcast.net> wrote:
On 04/16/2017 10:10 AM, Chris Warrick wrote:

On 16 April 2017 at 16:45, Jim <jf_byr...@comcast.net> wrote:

My system python is 2.7.12 so I created a virtual environment using venu
run 3.5.2. I put it in /home/jfb/EVs/env. Now I would like to try 3.6 and
put it in env36. Is it possible to change env to env35 for 3.5.2 without
breaking things?

No. You need to delete your existing virtualenv and create a new one.
You can just use `pip freeze > requirements.txt` in the old one and
run `pip install -r requirements.txt` in the new one to ”move” all the
packages you had.

Thanks Chris. I thought that would be the answer but wanted to check before
I spent a lot of time trying to do something that was not possible.

Virtual environments tend to confuse me. My system is Mint 18.1 with 2.7.12
& 3.5.2 installed. So I would have to download a tar file of 3.6, then build
it and then use it's version of venv to create a virtual environment to try
3.6. Is that correct?

Yes, you need to install the appropriate interpreter first, and
likewise a virtualenv won’t work if you uninstall an
interpreter/upgrade it to a new minor version*. You might not need to
use the source tarball if
https://launchpad.net/~fkrull/+archive/ubuntu/deadsnakes works on Mint
(and if you do use tarballs, make sure to install somewhere in /opt or
whatever not to make a mess — it’s easy to break your OS if you’re not
careful)

* eg. 3.5 → 3.6. Won’t ever happen on Mint or other “friendly”
distros, unless you do a dist-upgrade. Happens pretty often on
rolling-release distros or macOS with homebrew.

Chris, thanks for the confirmation and the link.

Regards, Jim