On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 17:09, Martin Fuhrer wrote:

> >> Most fonts are being ignored, but a few are loading fine (primarly
> >> .ttf
> >> fonts).  Here is a sampling of the errors I get from the other fonts:
> >
> > Bummer. Is there a newer version of FreeType that you
> > could be using?
>
> I'm actually not sure which version of FreeType is being used.  IIRC, a
> vanilla installation of Mac OS X does not include FreeType (font
> rendering is handled by OS X's  Quartz and PDF libraries).  There are
> two versions of SDL for Mac OS X - the X11 version (which requires a
> FreeType installation) and the native Mac version which is bundled as a
> framework (and does not require a Freetype installation).  I'm using
> the native version, and have always assumed that FreeType is statically
> linked into the SDL library, though I may be totally wrong.

You'd better look around on your disk, because there's no way
the libSDL_ttf code could use anything but FreeType. It'd take
a rewrite to use anything else.

I can now load most Mac fonts, including *.dfont files and,
new in the CVS code as of now, even those zero-length files
with a resource fork. Note that the Linux and Darwin HFS
drivers are compatible; append "/rsrc" to get the resource.

Regarding individual fonts:

Symbol: discarded because it has no letters
VT102Font: fails for unknown reason (no Unicode map? bitmap?)
Webdings: discarded because it has no letters
Apple Chancery: what the heck is "Chancery"?
ZapfDingbats.dfont: discarded because it has no letters
Zapfino: fancy ligatures and swashes go unused

An additional problem is that FreeType's built-in reader can
only find 1 style (face) per font family. When I use fondu to
extract the fonts, I get them all. Ideas?