On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 18:16, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 04:35:00PM -0500, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> > Start-up will go faster if some of the work is put
> > in threads. This is particularly true for disk reads.
> > When the canvas shows, only the paint tool needs to
> > be ready. Other stuff (stamps, fonts, magic) can
> > continue to load in the background.
>
> I'm concerned that threading this (at least, using /real/ Unix-style threads)
> may cause incompatibilities with some OSes.
>
> Can some look into this before we move much further forward?
>
> Or were we talking about threads at a higher level, and not actually
> using OS-level stuff?
>

> (Main concern for me: getting Tux Paint to work on Mac OS Classic... far
> too many schools are still stuck with it, and currently cannot take
> advantage of Tux Paint!)

SDL comes with a thread package that works everywhere except
on MacOS Classic. I've stumbled across various things involving
problems with SDL on MacOS Classic; I don't think is does too well.

While you try to support this, the schools are busy upgrading.
Nobody wants to be stuck with a dead OS. If a school is
extremely poor, they can always put Debian on their old Macs.

It may be reasonable to just #if out all the code. Any Mac
unable to run MacOS X is unlikely to have very much RAM.
Skipping text and stamps will allow running on even more Macs.

Another idea is to allow running all the code to completion,
just as is done now. In that case, pthreads can be used.