On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Doug Eastick <east...@mcd.on.ca> wrote:
>  layers are the trick.  Pretend you are going skiing and you will
> be fine and prepared.
>
> personally, I think you are nuts.  I got an email from
> homeway.com (where you can book condos) and they were advertising
> rentals available in DC.  My next thought with my wife was "why would
> anyone ever *want* to make a vacation of an inauguration?".  I'll let
> that secret reason stay with you :-)

Well, I am no expert on the local geography, though we have been there
a few times. My friend told me that he just took the Metro in to the
Mall over the Christmas break and it was about a 15 minute ride. The
Metro has it listed as a 19 minute ride (they live near Friendship
Heights Station). But of course, as I mentioned, we are budgeting many
hours to make the ride early Inauguration morning. In fact, one
suggestion I have been given it to take the train in the opposite,
outbound direction to the end of the line, which would let us get on a
relatively empty train back towards DC. Some predictions are that
there will be very little room on any train as it gets closer to the
DC area.

The idea of walking around a city dressed like I am going skiing just
sounds absurd to me, but that is what we have been hearing from some
people.

If I detailed our entire itinerary people would really thing we are
nuts (we are actually flying to Manhattan and renting a car to drive
back and forth to DC). Part of this is related to taking our daughter
back to college for the start of her second semester this year, but
most of it has to do with non-rational (irrational I suppose) needs to
be physically present at this particular ritual, which are admittedly
hard to explain.