They apparently always were. But they'd have to forgo nomination in the
Outstanding Animated Program (for programming less than one hour). That
category is for a specific episode, whereas "Best Comedy" is for the entire
season. "Family Guy" actually put itself up for both categories last year
because they put their Star Wars spoof up for animated program and the rest
of the season up for Best Comedy.

Apparently they felt this year that they were close enough to a nom last
year in Comedy to risk going all-in and it paid off for them.