On Jul 16, 3:52 pm, Joe Hass <hassgoc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why do I remember a big hullabaloo involving The Simpsons being unable
> to run for Best Comedy during their heyday?

Because they were.  The rule changes are a relatively-recent
happening.

In reality shows, Howie didn't get nominated again for reality host
(after allegedly being the instigator of the bomb opening bit on the
Emmycast).  He's replaced by Phil Keoghan (YES!) and Padma of "Top
Chef."  Bergeron, Heidi, Probst and Seacrest renominated.  "Survivor"
didn't get nominated for competition series again, but "Top Chef" did.

And Andy Denhart of Reality Blurred makes some good arguments about
"Idol" not deserving nominations, especially going after Bruce Gowers
for getting a nod for variety directing (Denhart blames Gowers for the
running-late screwup episode and other tech blunders over the season)
along with some love for "So You Think You Can Dance" and my new
British girl friend Cat:

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/american_idol_8/2009_Jul_16_gowers_emmy_nomination

In the sound mixing nominations, I noticed that "Idol" sweetens.  I
really didn't hear anything that sounded like they were using canned
response, or is it much less fake-sounding these days?  (However, it
seems to me that if you're doing a live finale at the Nokia Live with
a packed, amped-up house, you're not doing a comedy show where you're
afraid of jokes bombing and your audience in the seats isn't jaded
show biz types who don't want to be told when to clap, you wouldn't
need to sweeten.)