Thanks once again to the members of this group who sent me very
helpful tips for my east coast trip (both on and off list). My
daughter, her boyfriend and I wound up going to the off-Broadway "La
Fiesta del Chivo" (The Feast of the Goat), about the bloody Dominican
dictator Trujillo, all in Spanish (we got the English translation
through headphones). We really liked it. For our Soul Food we wound up
eating at Amy Ruths; the advice both from this group and elsewhere was
just about evenly split on Sylvia's, with half saying it was a must,
and the other have saying it was a tourist trap to be avoided. Amy
Ruth's wound up being more convenient anyway, and the food was
fantastic (and the staff really friendly). Another day we also ate at
Katz', so I was able to get in my two favorite kinds of food.

Having been back east for the sub-freezing weather of the Inauguration
and the godless heat an humidity of this summer, I once again wonder
how any civilized human life can survive outside of Northern
California. If forced to choose I would easily go with the cold - the
combination of the heat and humidity and the walking and the furnace
of the subway stations was a real torture. The one saving grace is
that it does allow you to eat a lot and not gain weight.

On my way to spend the afternoon at MoMa yesterday I walked by the Ed
Sullivan Theater and took a lot of pictures. This was the first time I
had been there during the daytime, and it was open with a fairly short
line of people trying to get tickets (about 11:00 am). My plane left
JFK at 7:00 pm so I could not try my luck. I did step in at the Hello
Deli for a cold coffee drink, and got to meet Rupert, but I was too
shy to ask to take his photograph.

On the midwest portion of our trip my son and I discovered Brats for
the first time, and fell in love with them. I liked the ones at Miller
Park best, he liked the ones at Wrigley better, but both were
fantastic. Miller Park is near the bottom of our list of ballparks we
have visited (I would put it just above the Metrodome, though of
course newer and with much better food, but not a great ambiance for
watching a game). Wrigley of course is near the top, just under AT&T.