On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Jon Delfin <jondel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it was in an interview Lawrence did with Alan Sepinwall that
> he retrofitted the facility as a teaching hospital, but one where up
> until now you've never seen anyone do any teaching.

Well, Sacred Fart (ha... love that) has always been a teaching
hospital, but they reworked the locale to include the classrooms
(mostly because Bill Lawrence now seems to be fronting two shows, both
produced at the Culver Studios to make it easier to bounce between the
two).

I liked the janitor's sendoff in the first episode, and I liked the
way JD handled the character I've already nicknamed the female JD (my
guess is we'll find out Judy's last name starts with a D, making her
another J.D. for Dr. Cox to be annoyed by).

I'm choosing to look at the name of the series as coincidental. It
isn't unprecedented. There were, after all, two different shows called
"ER" co-starring George Clooney. As a new series, it was familiar
enough in tone, so it didn't alienate longtime fans (are you reading
this, "SGU" producers?), and the new elements have potential to
stand-alone as a show. I'll actually be more interested in seeing what
happens in episode seven, after Zach Braff's contract with the show
expires.

I agree there is some awkwardness in justifying career changes with
the "staff," but I can see potentially humorous "flashbacks"
explaining their decisions, just as they flashedback to explain what
happened to the janitor.