On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 7:22 PM, televisiongirl <televisiong...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 1:46 PM, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am a little surprised that Leno's number is relatively okay for
>> Monday, when he was up against a very highly rated MNF game. I see he
>> had Jenifer Lopez on that night - does she really still have the power
>> to attract young men away from football? Or is it possible that,
>> against a weaker football game, Leno may do even better against reruns
>> of CSI:Miami and Castle?
>

> The game was over by 10PM ET, even if it was in the middle of the 3rd
> Quarter.  On the West Coast, the game was long over.  Still, NBC can't be
> thrilled that even with the Monday number being OK, it finished behind
> reruns.  That can't be good news for NBC or Leno.
> As for the Tuesday late news ratings, I saw it noted somewhere (maybe on
> Twitter) that the late local news ratings in the metered markets was 30%
> better than the previous Tuesday for the NBC affiliates.

Well, the MNF game is always over before Leno starts out here on the
West Coast, so that would not be different from previous weeks when
the game really hurt Leno. You may be right that the outcome was not
in doubt by 10:00 eastern, though we are talking about Tom Brady here,
so I think there was some reason to hang in till near the end to make
sure the evil Patriots were really dead. If Leno was able to get some
MNF viewers to switch over to him, that is probably good news for NBC.

The one week comparison may be a little unfair to Leno, since the week
before was 2 days before Thanksgiving, but even so, a 30% increase in
the ratings for the Late Local news without Leno as a lead in for NBC
affiliates is really, really bad news for him.