From: tvornottv@googlegroups.com [mailto:tvorno...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of David Bruggeman
Sent: Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:45 PM
To: tvornottv@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [TV orNotTV] Ebersol: "What this is really all about is an
astounding failure by Conan"

Well, I think he tried.  He hasn't been successful to date, but I'd
suggest he was trying to do different things.

Examples:  Conando, learning stuntwork with Steven Ho, bits in front of
the Universal tour tram, stunts like the monster truck smashing pumpkins
and the human cannonball bits (I think the concussion might have quashed
some of this, which is too bad).  Yeah, it's sort of what Dave did, and
what Jimmy does now (playing video games and carnival games with
guests), but a bit more mainstream.

I'm not sure if his visiting the neighbors bits are really that new, but
along with Conando seemed to be part of his recognition that he was in
Southern California.

Dubbing the anime stuff was new, but wasn't really broadening his
audience.  Making it younger, yes, but that clearly hasn't been the
biggest priority for NBC.

Now he did ditch a few things that were considered too edgy for 11:30
(that bear, playing with his nipples), but making new stuff seems more
effective than just ditching the old.  He might have also tried to do
more with his musical skills, and more with Andy than "Andy'll Try It".

A good point of comparison might be some assessment of the changes
Kimmel made (which I take on faith, as I've rarely been compelled to
watch him) and how long he had to make those changes.  Was it longer
than seven months?

And yes, Zucker still is an asshole.

David

________________________________

From: "Pollak, Melissa F." <mpol...@nsf.gov>

A different perspective

Too smart?  Hardly.  I find Conan's comedy silly and juvenile (for the
most part).  I know I wasn't the target audience when he was on at
12:30, but I should have been in it after he took over The Tonight Show.

Remember how ABC told Kimmel that he needed to "broaden his appeal" --
to women?  Well, Kimmel listened and followed orders.  The result?  He's
still on the air and doing fine.

Conan should have listened, too.  He needed to make some changes -- to
appeal to an audience other than (mainly) the college crowd -- and he
didn't, I guess.

For me, if I'm still up and if Letterman's in repeats or has a guest I
don't care to listen to, I'll switch to ABC.

That said, Zucker's still an asshole.

<http://groups.google.com/group/tvornottv?hl=en>