I'm very annoyed at PBS lately:  they are not putting Chyron titles where I
can read them!  Titles are half off the side of the screen, so they are
useless to me.

I've noticed this problem on two shows:  the kids' show Electric Company
(the reboot of EC is really not good; their costume designer should be fired
and they need less supernatural weirdness and more normalcy in the stories)
and Great Performances at the Met. I don't watch PBS nightly so I'm not sure
if every show has this problem.

I can't be the only person in the audience who doesn't have a wide screen
television.  Why don't they letterbox the presentation?  Do they really get
more complaints about letterboxing than about half the titles being
unreadable?

I remember in 1996 or 1997 attending a seminar for broadcasters regarding
HDTV, where the presenter emphasized protecting the 4x3, while finding a way
to use the 16x9.  I haven't noticed this problem on any other network.why
can't PBS get their act together?

Karla S. Robinson, Ph.D.
karlasrobin...@zoominternet.net