  From: jeffrey marousek
  To: tvornottv@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 5:54 AM
  Subject: Re: [TV orNotTV] But I don't have a wide screen TV!

  I am gonna take a stab in the dark here and guess you are watching using
cable/satellite...and likely DirecTV (they are the worst).  While the one
comment of how most new network programming is 16x9 is true, how it is center
cut by local providers changes depending on equipment and/or equipment
settings. Also, most of that 16.9 programming takes into consideration that
there will be 4x3 and puts the graphics where they can be read on 4x3 displays.
 That being said, DirecTV's MPEG4 decoders zoom the image way more than
required when it center cuts. Their equipment does let you letter box format
locally. However, you must pay the 10 dollar HD access fee for that feature to
be available on your receiver. Right now, DirecTV will credit your account that
10 dollar fee for for a year if you order it.  i am just assuming that most
other programming providers will do something similar, as I know the Charter
cable system by me does. Also, most convertor boxes offer the same feature for
the OTA viewers.