Jeffrey, you are a treasure--thanks to you and everyone else for the info.
I have an e-mail out to my contact at my local cable operator (Armstrong, a
small regional cabler) to see what they have to say about the problem.  I
understand the cost issue for smaller markets; even though I'm in a larger
DMA (Cleveland, OH), I assume that the cost issues are similar for a PBS
affiliate.  If I hear back from my cable person, I'll let you know what they
say.  I've also dropped a line to my PBS affiliate...we'll see if I get any
info from them.