On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Tim Northrup <timnorth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Mrs. and I have also been enjoying this. While some here seem to
> find the sometimes glacial pace annoying, I do not. I find the pacing
> more "realistic" if you will, when compared to something like :24
> where everything is BIG and happens RIGHT NOW (though I did mostly
> enjoy :24 as well :) It's just well written, very well acted suspense.
>
> An early review of the show compared it to the movie "Three Days of
> the Condor", and I think that's a fair comparison (I loved that movie
> as well).

I love Condor (I just watched it again this summer after the first couple of
epidodes of Rubicon to remember hwo good it was. Rubicon is not [yet]
Condor.

The problem is not really the pace in terms of not having shoot-outs or
explosions or car chases. The problem is in the pace of the storytelling.
The damn thing moves so slowly that it is actually hard to keep track of the
key elements of the plot. Something that happened three episodes ago, and
then gets forgotten, is suddenly referenced again as important, and the
viewer has to work overtime to try to remember what it was. Now, this would
not be a problem if the show used the time otherwise devoted to plot
advancement to develop and flesh out the characters. But we really know very
little more about the main characters today than we knew after the second
episode (with the main exception of the guy we recently infer is gay).

It is more realistic than 24 of course (nice reference, given the James
Badge Dale connection) - but the problem is real life, most of the time, is
not very interesting. Rubicon is a little like a show about your office or
mine. I like my job, and I get off a few good lines in a week, but not
really worth a tv hour.

Still, I don't hate the show and I am not giving up on it. I like, if not
love, the cast, and the writing is good (though it doesn't really sparkle, a
la Mad Men or Sopranos or The Shield). If the show is watered and weeded and
gets plenty of light three to six months something interesting might well
develop.