On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Diner <bwayst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C16dHxn-nkA
>
> I actually like this. I understand that they feel they can't let the
> credits go on for a minute like in the old days, and the hyper editing
> is viewed as necessary these days. One step forward, two steps back.
> But given that, I think they did a good job. And the band sounds
> GREAT.
>
> A few nitpicks, though:
>
> 1. One of the things that made the famous zoom-in on McGarrett in the
> old opening credits work so well is that it was timed to match the
> crescendo in the music. With the zoom-in moved earlier in the
> sequence, there's now nothing special happening visually when the
> crescendo occurs, starting at about 17 seconds in. They could probably
> fix this by moving action shots (like the explosions) into that spot
> and moving Kim and Park's credits to later. However, the actors would
> probably protest, so that will probably never happen. (SNIP)

I don't get why they can't let the credits go a minute. This is Hawaii
Five-0, they have a built in excuse to show 30 seconds of quick cutting to
sexy young cheese and beefcake (which is something they could do more of
than the few shots in the original). That would seem to be worth something
to them. I will not see the opening until the show, but I agree it is a
mistake not to zoom in on McGarrett timed to the crescendo.

I am hoping they keep the central dynamic of this show, which is McGarrett
as a straight enforcer and protector of stability and the social order who
makes possible the naive pleasures of the natives and  the irresponsible
pleasures of the tourists. He was also a big Cold Warrior, so I guess he
will have to now be some kind of reserve officer in the War on Terror. The
modern TV character he comes closest to is Horatio on CSI: Miami. The few
quick shots I have seen of neo-McGarret worry me that he is trying to be too
young and hip.