My favorite quote of "The Late Shift" does not come from Dave or Jay
or Johnny or a suit at NBC or CBS.

"This is the result of a drunken wager between Lorne Michaels and Don Ohlmeyer."

It is a joke told by Conan during his test show in 1993. In Late
Shift, Carter gives Conan almost a glossing over, and for good reason.
 He wasn't just on thin ice: he was wearing golf shoes on thin ice.

"The Conan Of It All" is the obligatory backstory of Conan. If you
know it then almost all of this becomes the equivalent of a
"Previously On" segment to you. This is not to say there aren't some
great nuggets in here (how Lisa Kudrow helped him pick out the worst
possible sport coat for the aforementioned test show, and a "talk
show" he did with Jeff Garlin called "Wild Blue Yonder"). But, yeah,
yeah...Lampoon staff with Zucker, then SNL, then Simpsons, then this
insane break. As Ebert might say, it's a Meet Cute with Jeff Ross (who
would go on to EP the test show, then Late Night).

But what we discover here is that Conan was (and really is) Dave
without the "baggage". And I use that word not because I like it, but
because you could easily see how the two of them have this odd
similarity, but Dave turned out to be Dave and Conan turned out to be
Conan.

It's Tom Shales mea culpa in 1996 that wraps the chapter up as the
point when things changed, and you do the math to realize that the
sword hung over this poor guy's head for almost *three years*.

And he came out of it a perfectly normal screwed-up guy.