There's elements of of #1 to be sure. Some people like to cast the
contra-vote or reward someone who "tries hard." The structure of the
show - no option to cast a negative vote -- allows for this each
season. But the bigger factor IMHO is the partisan political support
generated by her mother's supporters. I'd say very few view her as
being anywhere near the best dancer.

But blame (if that is the case) can also be laid at the feet of the
judges under (assumed) direction from the producers. With 50% of the
score coming from the judges, they consistently have failed to judge
her as harshly as she deserves.

Take this past week. Kurt Warner, former Super Bowl QB, danced well
and got repeated his best scores of the season, three 8's out of 10
(for an average,, of course of 8). Palin danced much more poorly, even
losing her step a couple of times, and received harsh *verbal*
criticism from the judges (as befits someone who dances this poorly,
this late in the competition), but then they score her 7-8-8 (for an
average of 7.7) or only 4% less than Warner, clearly setting up the
"upset" that leaves Palin in and Warner (and others before her) out.

This has consistently been the way they have scored her, always at
least a full point higher than she should and others would have gotten
(my opinion having watched all 11 seasons).

And exactly what makes Bristol Palin a "star" to qualify her to be a
contestant? Officially she is billed as a "teen activist" who speaks
out about teen pregnancy. While admirable, hardly star material. And
so, her reason for being on the show is her mother's political
connection, geared towards energizing her mother's political base into
increased ratings.

So lay most of the blame -- or credit depending on your point of view
-- at the judges/producer's feet.

Ron Casalotti
Wayne, NJ