On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 17:17, David Bruggeman <bru...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It's news, as it strikes me as counter to the prevailing narrative.  Most
> statements SCG has made about following Letterman to 11:35 range from mild
> to annoyed disinterest.

I think that it would have said outright if Craig was guaranteed 11:35
no matter what happens with Dave. Therefore, I see two ways to
interpret that passage: 1. SCG is guaranteed 11:35 if it becomes
vacant during his contract, but Letterman's contract runs at least as
long as his does so the only way a vacancy appears is if something
happens to Letterman or he leaves mid-contract, and/or 2.
CBS/Worldwide Pants have the option to look for another host if
Letterman decides to hang it up and gives enough advance warning to
search for a replacement and have an orderly transition.

Isn't the deal between CBS and Worldwide Pants such that CBS has
basically outsourced its late-night TV to them and the contract
doesn't say what programming they will provide, just that they will
provide programming? (ISTR hearing something like this once, but I may
well be wrong.) If so, that would be a pretty strong incentive to have
a Plan B ready, since it would be WWP's problem if there was a vacancy
to fill.

--
David J. Lynch
djly...@gmail.com