On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 10:07 PM, David Bruggeman <bru...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Perhaps more on point is why Gilbert went to that joke - a bad crowd
> reaction because he opened with a reference to  a flight with a connection
> at the Empire State Building.  Pretty sure this was in October 2001.
>
> Even though it was a proper Friar's Club Roast, I get why the audience went
> sour, and I get why Aflac tossed him based on the latest stuff.
>
> I'm fine with Gilbert, but that's just my personal taste, and the fact that
> most of my annoyance with this kind of comedy is usually directed at Norm
> McDonald.

I much prefer McDonald. I will not mourn the loss of Gottfried's obnoxious
and ubiquitous voice on tv and radio. But Gilbert does seem to be the kind
of comic that makes other comics laugh, and while that is not enough to make
me laugh, it is enough to earn him some measure of respect in my book. If he
were being fired from a gig where his "talents" were associated with being a
comic I would be outraged, as the joke in question is hardly obscene. It may
be in bad taste by the standards of most decent people - but then that is
what comics do - push the boundaries of the standards of most decent people.

But in this case he is being canned from a gig that is shilling for a large
multinational corporation - and they are most definitely not about pushing
the boundaries of taste of most decent people. I can respect him for
pursuing his craft (such as it is) over shilling for corporations, but I can
not criticize the judgment that it makes him a less effective shill.

I thought his joke post-9/11 was the highlight of his career (I mean that
seriously, not as a backhanded compliment).