Another option would be not to drive but instead take the Metro Red
Line subway, which has a station at Hollywood/Highland, literally
across the street from where Kimmel tapes.

There are park/ride lots at Universal City Station (one stop away) and
North Hollywood Station (two stops away).  The Red Line runs every ten
minutes during rush hour, which would give you plenty of trip choices
to make it to the theatre well before 5:00pm.

Fare is $1.50 each way; you need to buy your ticket from the vending
machine before crossing the turnstiles.  From the two aforementioned
stations, you need to take the train heading for "Union Station" to
get to Hollywood.

Red Line timetable:
http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bus_overview/images/802.pdf
(I know the schedule is dated December 2010 ... we don't change the
subway schedule very often)

If you also want to avoid traffic to/from Television City (and
parking) for the SCG taping, Metro Line 780 is a fast connection
between Hollywood/Highland Station and Fairfax/Melrose:

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bus_overview/images/780.pdf
Fare is $1.50 per trip, exact change required.  780 is a Rapid line
which means it only stops at major cross-streets instead of every
couple of blocks ... Fairfax/Melrose is only four stops away via that
line.  (Bus destination sign is to "Washington/Fairfax Transit Hub";
stop is literally in front of the subway station entrance on
Hollywood.)

KMR