All I want to do is contribute to the holiday in a way that will be
appreciated by everyone around me for years to come.

But, given the current state of my older brother, I am fearing for my
life. He has not slept since yesterday, is saying "Don't p!$$ me off,"
and I'd bet I'd note a significant smell if I got within six inches of
him. He works part-time at a local social club, so you can guess to
what he has ample access.

Boiled cookies are the drop-by-the-spoonful variety with 'quick' dry
oatmeal, cocoa, milk, butter, sugar and optionally peanut butter and/
or other stuff (some just call them no-bake cookies). Mom will always
make them even if no other (usually B. Crocker bag mixes) are made. A
woman my next-younger brother previously lived with, gave us a 3-lb.
can of imported cookies, so after a while mom passed on the idea of
making her usual batches of PB, CC, and red-and-green-jimmie-covered
sugar.

Our favorite supermarket is closing at 6pm, it's after 4 and dad just
now left for there for the few other things we need, e.g. potato
salad. Hopefully there'll be pre-packed left for him. I barely found
candies and a pet house at the local pharmacy chain.

Mom stole my cellphone to call Brandy, our car-driving newspaper
person, to wish her a happy happy, and I'm afraid to go near her to
retrieve it because older bro is still nearby. "I'm fine," he says.

Instead of the usual shrinkwrapped football-shaped ham (ObTV: she gave
up on canned over 10yrs ago, Dave), mom suggested... steak, rotting
and dying in our freezer since summer. Along with part of a roast.
Grilled out on the porch, where happily the forecast doesn't call for
snow, but it will be windy. She'll put the ham off till New Year's
Day, allegedly, tho since the mac salad, potato salad et al that would
have been served with it will have been eaten this week, I'll be
forced to make something else unless there are leftovers.

Bro #1 is jealous that bro #3 decided to go to another friend's house
in the Poconos this weekend.

--
BOB