On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 9:26 PM, televisiongirl <televisiong...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 10:14 PM, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> I hear about this anti-NY bias by Buck from NYers a lot, but I have to
>> say (and I am no Buck partisan) that I have never - ever - seen any
>> evidence for it.
>

> Week 9 this season, Giants play Patriots in Foxboro.  Giants are losing
> 20-17, get the ball back with 1:30 left in the game.  The Giants get down
> the field and with 15 seconds on the clock, Eli Manning throws a game
> winning touchdown to Jake Ballad.  Great play.  Buck's comment - Eli threw
> the ball off his back foot.  Eli just threw the pass - a dart - that won
> the game and Joe, who of course had a storied career as a Super Bowl
> winning quarterback (oh wait!), used his vast knowledge to dissect Eli's
> mechanics during this comeback.
>
> Eli Manning and Tom Brady in that same game got a delay of game penalties
> when the clock operator didn't reset the clock properly after a different
> penalty.  Buck and Aikman criticized the clock operator on the Brady
> penalty, chided Eli for poor clock management for the Giants penalty.
>
> I could go on and on but all I remember is the absolute nap he took during
> the big play in Super Bowl 42 is the reason New York fans see a bias from
> Buck.
>

>> I think you are going to have a real hard time convincing most people who
>> don't live in NY that Buck is anti-Yankee, since to the rest of us it seems
>> like all Fox MLB coverage is is one season long Yankee ass-kissing festival.
>>

> Because of his throat issues, Buck didn't do a lot of Yankee games this
> season so I can't complain.  I will say his second prime time nap during
> the Johnny Damon stolen base play in the World Series in 2009 (something a
> baseball historian in Cooperstown Keith Olbermann interviewed on
> "Countdown" called the greatest play in World Series history) just
> reinforces the Buck issue for New York sports fans.
>
> Also, Yankee fans tend to be Giants fans so we have Joe with us most
> seasons for about 10 months.  You'd be sick of a good play-by-play man in
> that sort of bulk.

I have learned from experience that there is no point in pointing out to NY
fans that network announcers are not really supposed to function the same
way that home team announcers function. I am not a fan of Buck, and I like
Eli just fine - in fact his team is probably my second favorite in the
league. But from where I sit out here on the west coast, Joe Buck seems to
function pretty much as Eli Manning's PR agent. And the NFC seems to be
composed of the Giants, the Packers and the Cowboys, who play nameless,
faceless opponents most weeks until they occasionally play each other.