Steve Harvey has a day time talk show that is starting soon (I think this
week).

I know that is not news - what is news is that I know this. I didn't know
until it was mentioned during the coming out story that Anderson Cooper had
a daytime talk show, I have to keep getting reminded that Oprah and Regis
no longer do, and aside from Ellen I could not name any other talk show
host in the day time (well, I know that Whoopie and Barbra Walters have a
show with three other horrible women, and there are two or three clones
with I have no idea who, and I remember a couple of years ago I
accidentally watched like 15 minutes of what may have been the single worst
talk show in the history of the tube, with the wife of  George
Stephonopolis).

The reason I know about the Harvey show is not that I am planning on
watching it (I am certain that I will not). The reason I know is that they
have been pimping it relentlessly during the On Demand menu on Comcast.
When I first switched to cable last year I was very irritated with this
constant gabbing while I navigated to whatever I was looking for (which can
take a while sometimes); now I still don't like it, but I have come to
terms with it, though I have learned to at times mute the sound. But this
seems to have been an effective mode of advertising, getting messages
through to me that I work pretty hard to block.

Can we expect to start seeing use of this avenue to advertise consumer
products, and maybe political candidates, in the future, or is there some
rule that would prevent that?