I have noticed that the on-demand ads (within programs that have them) for
Verizon in my area (Washington, D.C.) are often repeated within the same
program.  Sometimes the ads are for programs, and typically its for the same
network that puts out the show I'm watching.  Sometimes it's for products.

It's always struck me as similar in ad distribution to watching online via Hulu
or the network website.

Then there are programs that aren't tailoring their ads for the on-demand or
online markets.

As for political ads, I do remember seeing some in 2010 when watching TDS/TCR
online.  They were specific to California.  I haven't seen any this year, but I
don't know if that's due to rulings or a perceived ineffectiveness of ads in
the online video space.

David