On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Got around to watching the re-boot of Community this morning. Did not love
> it, but then I was not a card-carrying member of Community-Nation before,
> and have always found it uneven, so it is possible I will love some
> episodes to come.
>
> Mike Hale from the NYT (who clearly has kept his card current), hated it:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/07/arts/television/community-returns-on-nbc-without-dan-harmon.html?pagewanted=1
>
> Maureen Ryan at HuffPo, was not wowed, but not as disgusted:
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maureen-ryan/community-season-4-review_b_2633429.html
>
> Hale includes an oddly worded aside "Chevy Chase, who has said this is his
> last season", odd because Chase announced last fall that he has resigned
> from the show before they finished this season (though he only missed the
> last two episodes, and if the first episode of Season 4 is any hint, it
> will hardly be noticeable that he left), and also odd because Hale's review
> is full of nit picking of the new show-runners, so one might think he would
> be a little more careful himself.
>
> Community is one of the few NBC shows to have premiered up from last
> season - we will see how much of that was just curiosity viewing, and how
> much the slightly (or greatly, depending on who you ask and how it
> goes) dumbed down version worked.

I just watched the episode and read the columns. Hale, in the NYT, seems
too hostile to the new show. I think he's right that the characters have
had a lot of their depth removed. It's obvious about Abed, who seems to
have lost his context. In this incarnation Abed does not interpret reality
through TV and movies. On the other hand NBC was open about wanting broader
appeal in their series and that was probably a directive to the new
showrunners.