Ok, first, while Joey & Meghan are fine as racers, their personalities would
make me want to throat-punch them if I ever met them in person. (And when did
"YouTube host" become a profession?)

Back on topic - I'd argue that yes, John & Jessica are the dumbest racers in
the history of the game - or, at least, they lack situational awareness (TM
Sterling Archer). After their false start with the Detour (in which, I believe,
they actually stole those natives' clothes), they should have been able to see
the writing on the wall and used the express pass immediately. Even with the
subsequent blunder at the Roadblock, they'd probably have stayed in the race.