On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Mark Jeffries <spotligh...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Well, hell, you know that's going to happen no matter what because of
> Olbermann back at ESPN.  It may be a little more intense with Silver
> involved, but it was going to happen.
>
> Meanwhile, anyone want to start a pool on how long it takes before Olby
> violates that alleged contractual pledge to not say anything about politics?

Right - so if anything I might have expected them to bring in somebody with
some kind of conservative bona fides to protect themselves, rather than the
only media personality hated more by Red Staters than Olbermann himself.

I really don't think that is going to be his problem (depending on how that
requirement, if actually present, is worded). Keith may make the occasional
snarky throw away comment about someone like Michelle Bachman, but I don't
seem him being a danger to go off on a tangent about drones or Obamacare
while discussing the Yankees-Red Sox.

A more likely problem are areas where sports and politics intersect (or, at
least, potentially intersect). There are those calling for a boycott or
some kind of economic action on and by professional sports teams in
Florida; if something like this (as an example) got a little traction,
Keith would probably be more likely to pick up on it than the average ESPN
anchor. I have not heard if Lebron James has spoken out since the Zimmerman
verdict, but he and Wade did speak out after the killing (it happened the
night of the NBA All Star game, on February 26, 2012, just a few miles from
the game). If James and Wade decided to sit out the first home game of the
season in protest (I don't think this is likely) then Olbermann would no
doubt have an opinion about it.