Way back on Monday, November 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Doug Fields <d...@flids.net
> wrote:

> Hmmm…now that I read back over this thread, maybe we **are** talking
> about two different things.  I’m specifically talking about the NFL’s
> blackout rule.  I’m not aware of any rules affecting the broadcast of the
> home games of any of the other major sports.

After finally doing a couple Google searches, there are two things in play
here:

Public Law
93-107<ftp://ftp.fcc.gov/pub/Bureaus/OSEC/library/legislative_histories/938.pdf>,
which covers the NFL blackout law. That law expired in 1975. The FCC has
nothing to do with this (and here's the
PDF<http://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/sportsblackouts.pdf>telling
you as much).

The FCC rule original published in 1975 which covers the "blacking out WGN
America in Pittsburgh if the game is on an OTA station" situation (here's
the updated rule <http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/76.111>). This,
apparently, is what the acting commissioner was talking about, because it's
the only thing the FCC has a say in when it comes to blackouts.

And apparently few people understand the difference between the
two<http://entertainment.time.com/2013/11/05/the-fcc-may-end-its-sports-blackout-rules/>
.

I apologize for all the confusion I caused on this thing. I'll go sit in
the corner for a while and think about what I've done.