From: tvornottv@googlegroups.com [mailto:tvornottv@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Joe Hass
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2013 2:31 PM
To: TV Or Not TV
Subject: Re: [TV orNotTV] FCC considering eliminating sports blackout rules

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 12:33 PM, <d...@flids.net> wrote:

I'd like to hear even one example (even a far-fetched one) of how the
blackout rules have ever been "in the public interest."

I'd say the initial idea when the rule was creating: that prohibiting
blacking out home games in their own market allowed fans of all types to be
able to see the games, even if they couldn't afford the tickets. Given the
amount of money that communities give towards the building of these
facilities*, they become de facto in the public interest. Even Dollar Bill
Wirtz would let the very-rare sold-out Blackhawks games air.

That said, the rule is now utterly obsolete. Now the question becomes "does
the FCC consider OTA broadcasts part of being in the public interest,
especially in markets (as discussed in these parts earlier) that do not have
any non-network or cable OTA broadcasts?" That's where the battle between
free markets and public interests comes back into play.

* I'm aware this fact could launch into its own discussion that could raise
my blood pressure, for which I will simply state this fact and continue.

.