"Today" is still under the news division, yes.  And those of us who lived
in the New York market in the early-mid 90's remember Matt Lauer as WNBC's
journeyman anchor, starting with the 6-7am "Today in NY" shift, moving over
to read the news on the "Today" set, then running back up to the 6th floor
for "Live at Five".