On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 11:54 AM, calwatch <calwa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Um, CBS? Pelley is a reasonable, serious alternative. I don't think he
> does disasters well (Brian Williams is great with that) but if the stock
> market plunges a thousand points or the US invades another foreign country
> I would go to CBS.
>
> Pelley's good at what he does, but he lacks the services needed to cover
breaking news. Again, there was a time "60 Minutes" could provide depth,
and CBS used to have a team of both science and medical experts on staff,
but the Katie Couric era killed its ability to be taken seriously by me. It
is akin to McCain choosing Sarah Palin as his running mate -- I just can't
respect someone who makes such a piss-poor choice. CBS farms out a lot of
its reporting to ITV and even BBC, and that includes some domestic stories.
When it comes time to analyze events, they often bring in journalists from
print media because they simply lack experts in-house.

In a way, this relates to my criticism of SCOTUS. We now have news agencies
reporting on stories they know little to nothing about. If the cure for
cancer was discovered tomorrow, can anybody state with conviction that any
of the major news anchors could grasp the complexity of complex medical
breakthroughs? No, they'd bring on a quack like Dr Oz to dumb it down for
the Oprah demographic. If North Korea and Russia signed an agreement to
jointly develop new weapons of mass destruction (a situation that is
entirely feasible in this political climate), which network has the staff
to adequately route through the international repercussions and lay out the
potential impact to the US and its allies? They rely on outside pundits and
experts, many of whom would be fending for themselves in the face of
breaking news, which leaves network anchors reading press releases,
pretending actual journalism has occurred.