On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 12:44:04 PM UTC-4, Kevin M. (RPCV) wrote:

> To me, it isn't about who the better anchor is. It's about which network
> is in the best position to provide on-the-ground coverage of breaking news.
> By virtue of the fact NBC news has to provide news coverage to the main
> network as well as MSNBC (and, to an extent, Univision), they have a slight
> advantage in terms of the budget they can set aside for reporters and
> bureaus. Their affiliates have also been the least likely to farm work out
> to other cities (I think I read there's now a Fox affiliate in Florida
> somewhere whose newscast is produced almost entirely in Maine), so they
> have local "talent" to draw from when things occur.
>
> Prior to the death of Peter Jennings (let's all pause and sigh about that
> for a moment), I think ABC did the best job of allocating resources.
> Network news did the wraparounds, Nightline provided in-depth analysis, and
> 20/20 did investigative (albeit biased) reporting... there was a balance to
> it all, and an ability to borrow from each branch as needed. CNN may have
> had more experts back then, but they weren't as strategically positioned.
> But all that has dramatically changed. I wouldn't trust ABC to tell me the
> time of day.

Agreed. I was a loyal viewer of ABC News from the Frank Reynolds era until
the retirement of Charlie Gibson. Shortly after Diane Sawyer took over, ABC
had a big round of cost-cutting where they let several reporters go -
including Brian Rooney, who seemed to be in every California city at once.
Rooney took an early retirement package, and his job was not filled. When I
read that, I realized that ABC was now giving me less news than it used to.
So I switched over to Brian Williams, because he works for a network that's
able to devote more of its resources to news.

I think ABC did very little to diminish their news-gathering capability in
the Jennings/Koppel era. After Jennings died in 2005 and Koppel retired a
few months later, things started to slide.