PGage,

My impression from what you've posted here is that social psych isn't your
specialty. I'd imagine social psychologists have had a lot of fun parsing
internet reactions.

Social media and comments sections provide outlets for everyone. In many
cases, it's nothing more than "I'm right and you're wrong," whether the
topic is that killing lions is bad (or good), Obamacare is awful (or
great), Donald Trump is a doofus (or presidential), or One Direction is
great (or terrible) without Zayn. People will rush in to agree or disagree
without adding anything more to the conversation. There are corners of the
Net like this one where people carry on civil and intelligent discussions,
but there are lots of venues that seem to be about who can shout the
loudest.

As far as True Detective goes, all I've seen of it is clips on talk shows
that didn't stick with me, so I'm completely agnostic on the subject. The
reactions I've seen from reasonably thoughtful people are that season 2 is
significantly worse than season 1, but, as always, YMMV.