In fact the plot in S2 was pretty straightforward as you say. Yes the way
things linked up took time, and you did have to pay attention to it. Unlike
90% of television there mostly weren't great long exposition scenes (there
were one or two). Like everyone else, I wouldn't pretend that it was as
good as S1, but it wasn't as bad as made out.

To be clear, this is an all or nothing series. You don't dip in and out.

Maybe the lack of a single director this series didn't help. I don't have
any problem with an auteur theory of television. In the UK that's actually
how we get most of our TV - short run series written by a single person.
With one or two exceptions there are no such things as writers' rooms. TV
doesn't have to follow a formula, and that's what I like about True
Detective.

I don't know whether it's a buzz thing or not. I suspect that a series like
this will never do gangbusters Game of Thrones numbers, but award
nominations will do nicely, and whatever you thought of this season's
story, technically its up there with the very best.

I can quite easily see a S3, although I can also see HBO making sure that
Pizzolatto has enough time to do it how he wants.

Adam