On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 9:26:08 AM UTC-5, Bob Jersey wrote:

> JW:
>>
>> Just a reminder, since nobody's mentioned it. The whole Tonight Show
>> reruns (which seem to be titled "Johnny Carson") are on Antenna TV now that
>> it's 2016. There are one-hour shows weeknights at 11pm ET rerun at 2am ET,
>> and 90-minute shows on weekends at 10pm ET rerun at 1:30am ET.
>>
>> The first couple were New Year's Day shows from 1982 and 1975, and on
>> both Carson talks about how close they are to the year 2000. From this side
>> of the millennium, happy new year to everybody.
>>

> Tim (Diner) reported on this from Variety
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tvornottv/nXjrZ_MoeQ0> (link)
> back in August when it was announced...

Here's an article listing all the episodes scheduled for the rest of the
month:
http://wvxu.org/post/heeere-s-johnny-lineup-carson-s-tonight-show-reruns-jan-1-31

I'm especially interested in the Annie Potts/Shelley Winters episode on
Jan. 15 - a very funny excerpt from that one ran on Johnny's anniversary
show for years.
And on Jan. 20 they're running the Elizabeth Taylor/Michael Douglas episode
from February 1992. This is noteworthy for two reasons: it was Ms. Taylor's
only Tonight Show appearance, and it was the last Carson repeat aired on
NBC. (On Johnny's last week on NBC in May 1992, the Taylor/Douglas episode
re-aired on Monday, and the rest of the week was new shows.)

I've watched the first two episodes, and the episodes they've picked have
aged pretty well. One thing that's noteworthy, however, is how much music
has been cut out. Johnny's original theme is still there (slightly edited),
and the band can be heard playing when Johnny says goodnight. But the rest
of the music has been removed. The "More to Come" bumper cards coming in
and out of commercials are silent (though a spare note of music sometimes
seeps through). And when a guest walks out, generic music and applause has
been dubbed over the NBC Orchestra. It's easy to tell it's not original
music because it fades out, something the live band, of course, never did.
The new music was most noticeable coming in and out of the stand-up comedy
routines - Eddie Murphy the first night and Foster Brooks the second.
Brooks' routine stood out because he did a prearranged bit where he walks
out from behind the curtain, takes a few "drunken" steps and halts, and the
music stops - and then he chastises the band for stopping, so they start -
and then stop - again. The new music just doesn't seem natural.

Also, neither of the episodes so far have featured musical guests, so once
one of them appears, all bets are off. On the list of remaining episodes
for this month, the only episode with someone I recognize as a singer is
the one with Ann-Margret slated for next weekend.

-Tim