Having seen the episode, allow me to reflect on something that, in the
world of late night, was more interesting than the inclusion of the Reeve
story... Carson's first guest on an episode that included (then) mega-stars
Christopher Reeve and Dana Carvey was neither of those two men. It was an
obscure juggler who did a 10 minute segment... and he freakin' killed. I
mean seasoned professionals don't get that kind of crowd reaction. And this
unknown had the stones to literally use Johnny Carson as a prop during the
bit.

With all the memes and viral videos that late night TV now tries to
generate, I imagined myself traveling back in time to 1987, the day after
the episode aired. I'd stand at the water-cooler and say to those around
me, "Did anybody see that juggler on Carson last night?" and it would've
sparked 30 minutes of conversation because everybody would have seen it and
been as entertained by it.