On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 8:11 AM, Kevin M. <drunkbastar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would respectfully disagree. I'm not generally a fan of musicals, but I
> suspect whether on a Broadway stage or in the live events that have taken
> place on TV the last couple years, the performers rise to the occasion in a
> way they wouldn't if it was pretaped. When you know they can always reshoot
> or cut around you if you screw up, you're less motivated to give your all
> the first time (or every subsequent time). Attend a typical sitcom taping
> for proof of that. As for the limitations of live TV... I actually like
> limitations. The Muppets take felt and ping-pong balls and animate them in
> such a way that the characters are as real as you and me... they take their
> limits and push them and push them. Up until about two decades ago, all
> audio was edited using magnetic tape and a razor blade. To think of the
> genius pieces of music that we have despite the limitations of technology
> makes the music that much better.
>
> I don't think it is a novelty to want to experience people pushing the
> limits and giving it their proverbial all because -- as the saying goes --
> the show must go on. I think a live aspect is designed to bring out the
> best in people, and as the person on the couch (well, the person on the
> futon) I appreciate that.

One live drama popped into my mind this morning. In 2000 CBS aired Fail
Safe live. It starred George Clooney and Richard Dreyfuss. Wiki and IMDB do
not have ratings for the program. My guess is that nobody in the business
who saw it thought it was worth doing again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fail_Safe_(2000_film)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235376/