Late to this, but ITV2 in the UK showed Fox's Grease over the weekend, and
I must admit that I quite enjoyed it, even with a little judicious
fast-forwarding. Really good use of a large studio lot, and some very
impressive dance routines.

ITV did try a live version of The Sound of Music just before Christmas
which I didn't see, but for the most part, it has been the primetime soaps
- Eastenders, Coronation Street, Emmerdale - that have done big live
episodes in the UK, usually for anniversaries and big story reveals.

Anyway, I've not seen it explicitly referenced here but there's a video
doing the rounds posted by Associate Director Carrie Havel taken in the
control room of her counting the beats (and bars) and the pre-ordained shot
list. Someone has spliced this together with the relevant track from the
show on YouTube, and if you've not seen it, it's well worth watching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP2QOmN57iU

There's a nice little interview on Ken Levine's site with her talking about
what she was doing and hot it works. Seemingly it originated over here with
the likes of Strictly Come Dancing (aka Dancing with the Stars). Anyway,
worth a read:
http://kenlevine.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/how-they-shot-grease-live.html (And
yes, Blogspot changes auto-magically to .co.uk for this side of the pond)

Adam