On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 11:19 PM, Tom Wolper <twol...@gmail.com> wrote

> For American viewers English accents are like black and white movies. It
> isn't that viewers can't understand what is going on in B&W movies, it's
> just that they tune in, see B&W, and tune out. I think it is the same when
> they hear regional English accents.

Interesting perspective, although there do seem to be plenty of Brits on US
TV dramas who are definitely not doing American accents.

Still - it could be worse. A recent episode of Castle showed that when they
featured a supposedly Geordie character (that is - a native of Newcastle).
Now I wouldn't pretend that a Geordie accent is the easiest to tune into,
but this was possibly the worst accent I've ever heard anyone attempt ever.
And that includes Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins who was the previous go-to
reference.

The local Newcastle paper was quite constrained in the circumstances:
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/tv/geordie-character-american-tv-series-10989344

For what it's worth, when Jersey Shore was retooled for the UK it became
Geordie Shore. Although that doesn't really make sense since nobody calls
it that. But you get the gist.

I was going to suggest comparing it with the real thing. Have a listen to
Jimmy Nail's character in the drama Auf Wiedersehn, Pet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWykvmc4Nw4. YouTube's auto-generated
captions apparently work as well as those dodgy Aussie ones.

Nail was recently in that Broadway musical that Sting wrote about the
Newcastle shipyards.

Adam (who always thought that Hugh Laurie had a terrible US accent in House)