Addendum:

I did not schedule a recording of the Ryan Seacrest show last night, so
when Bob Costas told us that they were going to show the rest of the
Gymnastics on the midnight show I was at first screwed (it was already 1:00
am my time when I got to that). I would like to know how much of the actual
event they showed on the midnight show - I have not been able to find it
anywhere online.

It was obvious by the way they covered it in primetime that the US Men did
not win a medal, but like I really believe most fans of the Olympics, I am
not only interested in events that Americans do well in, and I wanted to
see it. I went to both the Comcast On Demand menu (which does have a lot of
stuff) and online. In both places I found two main options: I could either
watch all action at each piece of apparatus (kind of cool, I watched about
30 minutes of the pommel horse, but it would have taken like 3 hours each,
and there is no announcing at all, or even much scoring information) or a
real time online feed of the overall event, with different announcers than
NBC. This was appealing at first (obvious plus, no Al Trautwig) but it
looked like the announcers were in Connecticut, and they were limited to
what was almost a random video feed that shifted from apparatus to
apparatus and team to team with little rhyme or reason. The announcers did
not know any more than I did what was going on other places on the floor,
and often would report things like "The US just got a 42 on the rings - I
would like to have seen so and so's routine, he must not have done very
well" - and we are left thinking - yeah, I would like to have seen that too.

In the end I was up to like 3:30 in the morning watching most of the
overall online feed, and got a pretty good idea of what happened. But I did
learn some empathy for how hard it is to televise a gymnastics event; there
are lots of things going on at the same time. It made me think the best
solution is not to try to do a live TV show, but maybe show the top 5 teams
on each apparatus one at a time, showing the standings after each
apparatus, so you are comparing apples to apples.