I've been sitting here quietly watching the talk about NBC's coverage, and
I thought it might we worth comparing and contrasting NBC with what the BBC
is doing in the UK for these Olympics.

The main channel - BBC1 - is just about all Olympics all the time. The only
exceptions are for the news, and the primetime soap Eastenders (they
literally throw the Olympic coverage to BBC2 for half an hour and then come
back - very odd). Essentially it's around the clock coverage otherwise.
This is all presented by various announcers in different parts of Rio each
doing their own stints. So sometimes from a studio over the beach, and
other times from within the Olympic Park. And the presenters are nearly all
sports presenters - not breakfast show presenters for example.

BBC2 shows "as live" coverage of what you missed in the small hours, from
first thing in the morning for a few hours. But otherwise is the BBC's
non-Olympic alternative.

And BBC4 has also dropped all regular programming, and offers an
alternative mix of fully presented sports until about 2am UK time.

Beyond that, on digital platforms we get every sport live, almost always
with a commentator, although sometimes with long gaps of silence. There are
no ads of course. This will be the same set of fully produced feeds from
Olympic Broadcasting Services that other broadcasters like NBC and NHK in
Japan offer their viewers on their digital feeds. On my satellite platform
I can watch 8 HD broadcast feeds (down from 24 in London), with the rest
being offered via streaming platforms. In my case they're integrated into
my TV set, so although these other streams are via IP, I can still watch on
my actual TV. For the most part though, producers pick and choose the
sports most likely to appeal to UK audiences and put them on one of the
broadcast streams. The BBC has essentially sub-let some extra broadcasting
capacity for the period of the games.

Due to time differences, we get a different mix of sport in our peak
although gymnastics, for example, seems to happen early enough that we get
to see that live around the 10pm news. It has been swimming that has been
notably ending the latest - finishing close to midnight local time.

There's always an interesting question about how partisan the BBC's
coverage should be and actually is. Britain has been pretty successful in
recent Olympic cycles - not least in London - but isn't so successful that
every single medal of whatever colour, isn't covered fully. You'd think the
whole country was interested in kayaking when we won a gold in that on
Wednesday, such was the coverage. And it certainly can't harm that diving
has been squarely in peak with some British success this time around.

Last night he track cycling started - something that Britain has invested a
lot in. Consequently there was a lot of cycling in peak. Indeed it seems
the IOC has scheduled track cycling with Europe in mind.

I think I find the BBC's coverage a tiny bit jingoistic and a little bit
too celebratory for my own tastes, but your mileage may vary. You notice it
most when a medal is dependent on someone else making a mistake in their
routine. Are the commentators "hoping" the competitors will screw up?

What we don't get are endless pre-packaged films of athletes overcoming
adversary to compete in the game, a la The X-Factor. And the games are
treated as a sports event - even if it's one that has a wider than usual
reach - hence rules explanations if needed.

But we do see other competitors, and even if it's obvious a Brit is going
to lose, we stay with coverage. That said, if it's a sport Britain's not
really any good at - handball for example - you're not likely to see much,
if any, coverage on the main channels.

And live is just becoming more important than ever. Whenever GB wins a
medal, my Twitter feed explodes with alerts and animated medal GIFs. The
idea that I could somehow make it through to a primetime show without
knowing the result ahead of time is just nonsense.

Rio and London probably haven't been too bad for EST viewers - Rio
especially. But Tokyo will be completely different. There's a 13 hour time
difference to account for. Sure, that is close to Beijing, but our levels
of digital connection will be so much greater...

Anyway, if you know your way around a VPN, give iPlayer a whirl if you're
interested.

As it happens, Discovery (who own the Eurosport pan-European set of sports
channels) has bought most European Olympic rights from 2018. The BBC
already had 2018 and 2020 rights in the UK, but Discovery owns the rights
for 2022 and 2024 in the UK. The BBC has already agreed sub-licencing deals
with Discovery 2022 and 2024 in return for offering Discovery sub-licencing
rights in 2018 and 2020. Sadly it seems that we might not get quite as full
a set of free digital offerings in the future. Time will tell.

As part of the deal, Discovery was supposed to be helping the IOC with
their Olympic channel. But as has already been reported, that's launching
as an online-only offering initially.

Adam