On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 2:48 PM, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am also puzzled by the structure of the show - there have been a couple
> of short (15 min) episodes that then are repeated within later, longer
> episodes. In one episode it seems like there is a scene that is repeated
> immediately after we first see it, right before they go to a commercial.
> Again, it seems like they contracted for a certain number of hours from A&E
> and then did not have enough actual content to fill it.

I can't comment on this show (Although I will admit to being a bit of a
sucker for docs on Scientology. The recent Louis Theroux documentary which
got a theatrical release in the UK was the most recent I saw. There was
nothing really new in it, and if the members of the "church" had just
behaved themselves, it'd have been a much duller doc), but the reuse of
footage always interests me.

As you probably know, the BBC doesn't run commercials, yet the structure of
many popular documentaries - especially those targeted at daytime audiences
- is built around the same way as if there *were* commercial breaks. So you
get:

- What's happening in this episode including juciest clip
- First segment
- "Coming up" - including juciest clip
- Second segment
- "Still to come" - third play of that juicy clip
- Third segment - including the clip about three times
- Sum-up - including, you guessed it, juciest clip

You might easily see the same bit of footage five to six times in a
half-hour.

But these are formats that are sold by the yard - with hundreds of episodes
commissioned. So cheap and cheerful is the order of the day. And there's
nothing cheaper than reusing footage repeatedly to bulk out an episode.

NB. These kinds of docs may not have made it across the pond. The BBC
doesn't really do daytime talk shows. But it does do lots of property
renovation shows, chasing cowboy builders, real-life rescues and antiques.
Lots and lots of antique format shows. (And that *excludes* Antiques
Roadshow, which is still a primetime Sunday night hit).