As someone who did a certain amount of work in this area in the not too
distant past, the really scary thing is that for a very large part, news is
no longer money maker.

In TV, CNN and Fox News are both profitable, but it's not clear the extent
to which CNN domestic supports or is supported by CNN International.
Further afield, you have state broadcasters like the BBC (although BBC
World News does have to pay its way - hence advertising), and that's about
it. Services like Al Jazeera or Sky News, are basically there for other
aims. Sky News almost certainly loses money, but it provides a useful
outlet for Rupert Murdoch beyond the US. Fox News isn't really an
international brand (it's available outside US shores, but it's content is
almost 100% domestic).

Then look at newspapers. The Guardian still loses money - the online
ad-funding model isn't enough, with only Google and Facebook winning. The
NY Times may be doing better with a strong subscription base, but
advertising rates for papers are falling through the floor.

Papers all around Europe and US are struggling. It's particularly bad at a
local level. I started by career in a local newspaper, and despite being a
paid-for title, up to 80% of revenues came from advertising. The key
categories were jobs, property and cars. All of those have gone near enough
completely online. Reporting staff are cutback; dailies become weeklies;
weeklies shut down.

In the UK there's a real problem of news going unreported. Nobody shows up
at every court session or every council meeting. Corruption isn't
uncovered. Some places might have good local online news gathering services
- but they tend to be driven by individuals.

It's a real concern for democracy - actually having a press to hold our
leaders to account.

If the Washington Post has found a business model that works for them, then
I'm all in favour. I bought a cheap Amazon tablet last year, and that gave
me six months' free subscription. When that ended, I was allowed another
six months for just £1. Those are limited time deals, but, yes, if the
price is low enough, I'll carry on my subscription. (I used to have an
online only NYT subscription, but the need to *phone them up* to cancel it
really annoyed me. I'm not ready to go back yet).

If Bezos can keep the WaPo above the lowest-common-denominator crap that is
the Daily Mail and especially its online cousin, then I wish him well in
making the project work. The natively digital style of their site is good,
and the journalism level still seems to be high. They're not slavishly
copying the look and feel of the paper (NYT - I'm looking at you), and it
doesn't feel as though entertainment is driving out everything else.
They're not grubbing around creating pages called "What time is the Super
Bowl on?" as the Huffington Post and others do. And there are no paid-for
"recommended" reads at the foot of their articles - surely the most
obnoxious thing anyone can put on their site.

Good luck to him!

Adam