I am going to find some time soon to gather some data on the average
decline in general if ratings for big tv events to provide context for what
are other wise meaningless data points on Year to year declines for
specific events.

I believe the Daytona 500 ratings were down like 15% this year. The NFL
ratings we know were down. I would be shocked if Oscar ratings were not
down in the 15-25% range as well. Mostly this is an acceleration of tv
viewing patterns, plus Oscar ratings are elastic and tied to box office of
best pic nominees. Still, while I have not been able to check this today
from work, it is a certainty that ABC’s ratings were better than anything
else last night (maybe combined, as is usually the case).

One thing though - look for the Academy yo find a way to get Black Panther
and maybe Wonder Woman some major nominations next year.

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 10:00 AM Tom Wolper <twol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 11:31 AM, Steve Timko <steveti...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I only watched through the monologue. I give Kimmel a solid double, not a
>> home run for that. Generally good stuff but he also played it safe.
>> Early indications are that it is the lowest-rated Oscars ever.
>>

> I was on YouTube maybe an hour into the show and Kimmel's monologue had
> already been uploaded. So I watched it. The mixture of the political
> landscape and the ongoing harassment process makes being the host, playing
> to the room and also to the general public, a minefield. Kimmel had to
> tiptoe through it and he did a good job.
>
> I turned on the TV to watch the 11 o'clock news (ET) and the In Memorium
> segment was starting. I switched between the ceremony and the news until
> the sports came on and it felt like the pace was slow. I don't know how
> anybody sat through the three hours before with no high profile awards
> after supporting actors.
>
> It's no surprise that the ratings were horrible. It's been known that
> people tune in to see which awards a favorite picture wins and the nominees
> were all fairly obscure. I also think the era of the larger-than-life
> Hollywood Star is over. For the most part the recognizable faces belong to
> stars over 50. From what I watched every time they cut from the stage to
> the audience I could not identify the faces of the young stars.

Sent from Gmail Mobile