On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 1:36 PM, Kevin M. <drunkbastar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 10:00 AM Tom Wolper <twol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> It's no surprise that the ratings were horrible. It's been known that
>> people tune in to see which awards a favorite picture wins and the nominees
>> were all fairly obscure. I also think the era of the larger-than-life
>> Hollywood Star is over. For the most part the recognizable faces belong to
>> stars over 50. From what I watched every time they cut from the stage to
>> the audience I could not identify the faces of the young stars.
>>

> Charles Nelson Reilly was a dinner guest on the series “Dinner For Five”
> years ago and his contention was the newer generation of “stars” weren’t as
> memorable because so many lacked a theatrical background. I joked in an
> earlier thread that Jennifer Lawrence is neither great nor awful but
> common. Many of these child actors who become adult actors skip the step
> where they stand on a stage and have to act and emote in such a way that a
> guy in the back row of a 2,500 seat theater feels it and connects with it.
> If the younger generation does live theater, it is as a stepping stone to a
> film career or a TV series, justxas so many young comics are only doing
> standup to get on a sitcom.
>
> There are good young actors out there, but they aren’t the... well...
> common ones.

Movie stars are part of the motion picture business plan. Around one
hundred years ago the marketing people of the new Hollywood studios
realized that publicizing the actors will build demand for new pictures.
Telling the public that their new movie will be a Chaplin movie worked much
better than trying to sell the film based on the title or plot. As the
studios got richer they institutionalized the star system. They stuck deals
with the new fan magazines like Photoplay, feeding them stories about the
stars which may or may not have been true about the actors involved. Stars
became larger than life, living carefree and romantic lives with no hint of
drugs or arrest records. Radio, newsreels, film shorts, newspapers, and
eventually TV all played along and it carried along for decades. Now it has
fallen apart.

Unlike Reilly, I don't blame the young actors. They might crave fame, but
being a star was never in their hands. I don't believe years spent touring
in stage companies or even playing Broadway would have made a difference in
their stardom. There are no huge stars today because the PR machinery can't
build them up to larger than life and movie companies can't use them to
build demand for movies. The movies that came out the last few years built
as star vehicles have all flopped.

Trying to figure out when and why this happened, I have two factors. Media
corporations bought the movie studios and they are now one asset in a large
corporation and "studio bosses" no longer have the power the old ones did.
Franchise movies don't need to have stars to drive demand and that is what
sells now. And in the early nineties the power agents started to negotiate
huge backend deals for their megastar clients. Tom Cruise and Will Smith
were getting tens of millions for a movie and the corporations wanted to
put a stop to it.