The dim lighting used in much of prestige television has been one of my
major irritations in recent years. Nowhere was that more evident than in
the most recent, otherwise fairly epic (though I know there are
contrarians) GOT episode. I have not been sure if the dark was a
pseudo-artistic pretension or a cover for other technical problems. The
linked article provides evidence it is both. The CGI In this action packed,
stunt heavy, monster laden episode may have looked too clunky in adequate
light. But cinematographer Fabian Wagner’s Hyper defensive explanations
confirm my worst fears about this trend. There is literally no reason they
could not have had both the drama of the Dothraki riding into the dark, or
the various light changes to mark the different stages of the episode and
still have adequately lit most of it. And his blaming viewers for not
having state of the art equipment and theater conditions is both outrageous
and inaccurate (I watched in the dark with a properly adjusted digital TV).
The second act, which they wanted to feel like a horror film, was
undermined, because half the time the viewer is left not in suspense or
fear, but confusion. It’s a shame, because I did like the episode, and by
all accounts it was a long, cold and brutal shoot for actors and crew.
Their work deserved to be served better by the cinematographer, who instead
indulged his own ego.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/game-of-thrones-cinematographer-show-too-dark-battle-winterfell-1202129682/
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile